If you have experienced sexual violence or interpersonal violence

If you have experienced sexual violence or interpersonal violence

What To Do

What happened was not your fault

Safety first- Are you in a safe place? If you are in danger or need medical care, please call 9-1-1. Consider reaching out to a friend or loved one that you trust for support and comfort. Your safety is the number one priority

Consider receiving medical attention:seek medical attention to treat any possible injuries and to check for injuries you may not be able to see. Go to a Center of Hope site or a local hospital:

Consider calling the police: The decision to report to law enforcement is entirely yours. You have several options:

  • Call 9-1-1
  • For IU Indianapolis campus police, call IUPD- 317-274-7911
  • Visit a Center of Hope site or local hospital and let them know you wish to report the assault

Consider calling a sexual assault service provider: A sexual assault service provider may be able to walk you through the process of getting help and answer any questions you may have about what options are available to you:

If you are undecided about reporting, still consider these options:

  • Get medical attention.
  • Even with minimal physical injuries, by going to the hospital, you can receive a forensic medical exam (also referred to as a rape kit) which will aid in the collection and preservation of physical evidence as a result of the assault
  • The health care provider can also provide you preventive treatment for HIV and some sexually transmitted infections (STIs), and emergency contraception to prevent pregnancy

Recognize that healing from sexual assault takes time. Give yourself the time you need

Know that it's never too late to call for help

Many survivors do not realize they need help until months or years later